It’s that time of year when human resources departments turn their attention to reviewing and updating their employee handbooks for the upcoming year. Below are some things to consider when updating your handbook:
- Updates to federal laws – Have any applicable federal laws or regulations been changed, or any court or agency opinions issued that impact your policies?
- Updates to state or local laws – Similarly, have any applicable state laws or regulations been changed?
- State law addenda – Does a “one-size fits all” handbook work for your company, or does your company footprint require state law addenda? Has your company recently expanded into new locations?
- Keeping up with the times – Unfortunately, policies relating to safety, security, emergency plans, emergency contact information, etc. are becoming increasingly necessary and important.
- Introduction – Does your statement describing your company, its history and philosophy, etc. need refreshing or updating?
- Policies v.